Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Weekend Extravaganza...

Okay, yes, I haven't written for a few days, and yes, there is a reason. Not one that I am proud of, but a reason nonetheless. Yes, I went crazy this weekend and broke the diet... Oh, the shame. The horror!
BUT... I kind of (okay, REALLY) set myself up for it, and since I hadn't officially started the 21 day cleanse part of the diet, I can justify it to myself. Sort of. That just means that I have to start over, but I think i'll do 3 days instead of the 5. How badly did I break it, you ask?
Oh dear...
First, I should add that it was not just a birthday weekend, but a DOUBLE birthday weekend.
It all started with a not-so-innocent sip of my boyfriends beer at a Sunday BBQ. Up until then, I had nibbled on a few almonds. One sip turned to two, turned to 5, and so on...
Then came the chips and salsa. Oh, how I wanted not to eat those corn chips and mango salsa. But by this point I had probably had the equivalent of one beer, and I am a notorious lightweight, so all reason went out the window at this point. Point being, Chips = devoured.
Well since I was already cheating, might as well enjoy myself and try not to feel guilty, right?
All this was followed by a few niblings of potato salad (which, by the way, I NEVER eat), and something else that I can't seem to recall (remember: extreme lightweight). Then the most evil part of all... the vegan cupcake from sprinkles. Ok, but in my defense, they were sprinkles cupcakes!! How could I resist at this point? Anyway, by now there was no stopping me on my cheat weekend.
We left the BBQ a few hours later in a hurry because we were almost running late for the surprise get together I had planned for my boyfriends birthday later that night. Yeah, this is where it gets really ugly.
First of all, earlier that morning, I made this:


Inspired by one of the coolest books ever, Hello, Cupcake! by Karen Tack and Allen Richardson http://www.hellocupcakebook.com/ I totally fell in love with this book when I saw it at a friend's house and had to order my own copy, and have since been on a cupcake making roll. Don't worry, I won't make anymore cupcakes any time soon, I promise.
I made the bottom half gluten-free (strategically placed so that the guests would eat the more user friendly ones and so that I could have a gluten-free cupcake) I know, I know, there was still sugar, but at least it was organic and dairy/egg/gluten-free. That's something, right?
Of course, I also had a glass of wine, a small shot of tequila (my boyfriend's birthday party, people!), and the munchies. Cheese, puff pastry with spinach and mushrooms, tomato basil mozzarella, flat bread... you name it, I had a bite.
I also gulped down tons of water because the next day (his actual b-day) we were going to..... DISNEYLAND!
I woke up that morning knowing that it was an all or nothing kind of day, and since yesterday was an "all" day, I might as well really enjoy myself at the happiest place on earth and have another "all" day.
So breakfast was an egg and a piece of Ezekial sprouted grain bread.
We were then on our way, where we did our secret free parking trick, and I crutched my way through downtown disney over to the wheelchair rentals (no lines = YIPEE!!!), and was rolled away into the disney dream.
After a few rides, we split a mahi mahi burrito for lunch.
Then rides, rides, and more rides! We got so much done in one day...
Dinner was at the Cafe Orleans, where I had a spinach salad with grilled salmon, and a few bites of birthday dessert.
Then, more rides, shopping, and on our way home where I made a vow that it was my last "cheat" day and it was time to get down to this "clean" business.
And so I did. The next day (yesterday) I was really good. Had a breakfast smoothie, lunch was a baby greens salad with a little bit of salmon, cucumbers, and a dressing I made out of tahini, apple cider vinegar, wheat free tamari, garlic, and a bit of olive oil. Nom.
Snack was half an avocado.
For dinner I had a small portion of quinoa with a bit of dairy-free pesto, and some steamed broccoli and cauliflower. For dessert, a had a tablespoon of raw almond butter with a little bit of agave. Cause yes, I have a crazy sweet tooth.
Back on track and it feels so good. I'm now sipping on a cup of green tea as I write this, and planning on hitting the gym today. Phew. Glad that's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment