Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Elimination Diet, Day 1

I woke up this morning feeling really hungry. I had a two cups of yerba mate tea before I realized that I haven't gone grocery shopping in almost two weeks. The fridge was practically bare. Oh, crap. What to eat? I had eggs in the fridge which is what I usually eat along with a piece of Ezekial sprouted grain bread, but that's definitely not allowed.
So I opted for a spoonful of almond butter and another cup of tea to curb my hunger until I could think of something else. An hour or so later, I found some frozen mango and blueberries and decided to make a smoothie with almond milk, agave, coconut oil, mango, and blueberries. YUM! Hunger satiated. I felt so good.
It's amazing that I didn't even realize how crappy/dehydrated/cracked out coffee ACTUALLY makes me feel until I purposely go without it.
A few hours later I started getting hungry again, and the fridge was still bare. The only vegetable I could find was a single red onion. I looked through the cupboards and found brown rice... Now I can work with this. Upon further investigation, I located a can of organic black beans. Score! All within the guidelines of the elimination diet!
I cooked the rice, sauteed the onion, threw in the black beans (after thoroughly rinsing them of their canned-ness, of course), put the rice in and seasoned it up with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a bit of cumin. It was pretty decent, and very satisfying... in a non-diet foodish kind of way.
Then my boyfriend came home, ate my leftovers, and helped me limp out of the apartment (yes, I'm still on crutches and have to battle a ridiculous flight of stairs before every excursion), and we were off on some daily errands, which included going to Petco for supplies for our furry children, then Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. I spent way too much money on food (I was hungry again, by this point) but it was all worth it.
When we got home a had a small spoonful of hummus and then a spoonful of sunflower seed butter to hold me off for dinner.
For dinner, I made pan-seared salmon topped with a creamy mushroom sauce that I made only out of water, almond milk, coconut oil, buckwheat flour, and mushrooms. OH MY GOD it was SOOO good. Delicious, creamy, tasted just like the bad stuff but knowing it was actually not bad for me made it so much better. I also made some steamed vegetables on the side.
So far, so good. The only problem is, my boyfriend keeps forgetting that I'm on this program and incessantly tries to push on me my favorite naughty treats. Ugh. It was so so hard not to have a glass of white wine with dinner, especially after he poured it and set it in front of me even after I said no. As I'm writing this I'm dreading the moment he brings over my favorite dark chocolate, because I know he will, and I know how hard it will be to say no, but I'm going to have to. I guess this is what it's all about from here on out, saying no to things. Guess I better get used to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment