Friday, August 13, 2010

Elimination Diet, Day 3

I received my clean kit in the mail today! Seeing it all out in front of me makes this all more real... It's a little bit intimidating... I really want to be able to make it through, without risking my sanity and my social life.
On another note, I am extending the elimination diet past the 5 day mark and doing it for 6 days instead because of a day trip to Disneyland for my boyfriends birthday. After much thought and insight from others, I decided that was the best decision, so no torture for me in Disneyland!
Hopefully I will just be able to enjoy myself and find some things to eat that are "clean friendly".
This morning was the usual yerba mate tea in the morning and smoothie for breakfast. I gave myself a smaller portion this morning and it seemed to workout just fine. I'm actually walking around a little bit right now, with a huge limp, but it's a nice start. I have downgraded to using just one crutch on outings and no crutches just in the apartment. So I capitalized on my newfound mobility and decided it would be a great day to go to the gym for the first time in over a month. Oy Vey. We went a little while after breakfast, and man do I wish I would have thought of some portable clean snacks because by the time we got there the smoothie had digested and I was pretty hungry again. I usually bring an energy bar or something with me, but alas, no clean energy bars to my knowledge. If anyone knows of any I urge you to come forward with the information. I still managed to get through the workout alright though, but I was really freaking fatigued. I was like a slug trying to lift dumbells, all the while with my poor boyfriend trying not to get frustrated at me for my lack of enthusiasm, energy, and proper form (he's a personal trainer). After that, I managed to walk/limp on the treadmill at a slight incline for a mile (I heard that walking on an incline is good for sprained ankle rehab). Then we were off again on more errands, two grocery stores and all the while my stomach is rumbling like crazy begging for the burrito samples they have out at Trader Joe's. Finally we made our way home, where I found my clean kit waiting for me which made me very happy that I resisted all those evil urges. I quickly threw together a salad with mixed baby greens, persian cucumber, mushrooms, aduki beans, and leftover broccoli raab pesto as dressing. I think that was the best salad I have ever eaten in my life - that's how hungry I was. I then continued with my organizing and cleaning to distract me from thoughts of the forbidden dark chocolate that I knew was sitting in the fridge. Evil. I felt pretty damn good for awhile - I had a good amount of energy and I was feeling very clean and pure. I'd eaten vegan all day. I was vegan for about a year, and even though i'm not anymore, vegan food still makes me very very happy.
I started to get hungry about two hours later... the only downfall of salads.
After showering and meditating, I got started on dinner, which was quinoa with garbanzo beans, zucchini, and garlic smothered in the leftover creamy mushroom sauce, and kale cooked with red wine vinegar, garlic, and onions. It was perfect. Healthy, flavorful, light, vegan... and there are leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
Now i'm hungry again... crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment